May 21, 2007

The dental saga continues...

OK, so I'm my dentist's best customer!
I think it was 2 weeks ago, I had the first part of a root canal done. After the pain that caused me to have the root canal, it felt pretty good. Well, on Mother's day... eating an english muffin for breakfast and "snap"! My temporary crown broke in half. So, I went all day making sure I ate soft foods and didn't do to much to hit the exposed tooth.
The next day, I called the dentist (no lie, they are on speed dial on my cellphone!) and they got me in to replace the temporary crown. After that I felt great! I already had an appointment scheduled for last Thurs to have the permanent crown on, but it wasn't in yet, so I was brave and moved it to today.
Well, on Wednesday I started having some tenderness and made a note to call the dentist first thing Thurs morning. They called me to confirm my Monday appointment, so I mentioned the pain. I had a feeling that I'd need an antibiotic, and that's just what they called in for me. I started that and had great hopes that I'd be OK. Wrong!
Four AM on Friday.... I woke up out of a dead sleep in pain. I never wake up like that, so I knew it was bad. I knew I had to go into work for a while, so I took some naproxen and tried to rest some. I called the dentist that morning, but his office is closed on Friday and I had to leave a message at his house. I came home around noon and took a lorcet, ahhh! That is until it started making me queasy and dizzy around 3:15. I hate that feeling!
So, at that point I laid down trying to rest and prayed that the dentist would call. He did, just at that point! Michael came & picked me up and we met the dentist up at his office. He tried to clean it up some, numbed me up real good and gave me some steroids to help with the swelling. Yay!! Relief!! The pain had gotten so bad that I couldn’t hit the tooth with my tongue without jumping.
All this, was really crappy timing. Friday night Cackie went to Nita & Billy’s and we had dinner reservations with friends for CafĂ© Society, my favorite restaurant! Cackie still went to Nita & Billy’s, but we cancelled our reservation and ordered in Indian food instead. Not as good, but still one of my favorites.
Saturday morning I woke up and felt great! No pain! I didn’t have to take any more pain meds, it was awesome! Sunday was good, too. I did bite down on it at one point and that obviously hurt, but otherwise I was great.
Today, it felt pretty good, too. I brushed my teeth before leaving work to go to the dentist and it started to tingle. By the time I got to the dentist, I could “feel” the tooth and that concerned me. He was a little weary of that and was cautious with the whole thing.He worked on numbing me and I wasn’t getting numb. I was partly there, but couldn’t get it all the way down to my chin. This is a sign of obvious infection, I’ve been there, done that, so I knew what was happening. He did what he could, but there were a couple of times that I thought I was going to pass out. He’d hit a certain spot and it would shoot pain into my left ear. I should have known he asked if I still had pain meds in case I needed them…. I came home to relax after the appointment, just waiting to see what would happen. Around 5, the numbness started to wear off slowly and pain started to set in. If my tongue hits the tooth when I swallow, I can feel it! This sucks! I sat here trying to stay occupied until Michael got home with Cackie, didn’t want to take a chance and get all dopey from the lorcet and then have to drive. They got home at 6 and first thing I did was take a pill. Now, I’m starting to feel loopy, but the pain is still there…. Praying that this isn’t going to be a long night

No comments: