Jan 15, 2008

My big gripe right now

At home last night I started a catch up of the many things that have been going on in our lives. Of course, I left it on the computer there and can’t finish it right now as I sit and eat my lunch. So, instead I’ll write about the big thing that is really plaguing me right now.

Human Resources sucks!

Sorry if you work in HR and are reading this, but I have a huge issue with HR right now, at least where I work. HR at my company has to be the biggest group of idiots that has ever been assembled. Their world is purely back and white with no shades of grey at all (that would cause them to have to think and that must hurt their poor little heads).

Here’s the deal… On Christmas Eve I found out that my boss was resigning, he didn’t officially tell us until later that week, but I had the inside scoop. So, being that I’m the senior of the group and I’m interested in new opportunities, I pulled together my resume and applied for the manager position. I put a lot of thought into this and decided that this would be a good move for me and my family. I was really hoping that this would be an opportunity for me to grow with the company that I have invested 6 years with now.

So last week I spoke with the director about it and was told that I’m the preferred candidate, but that it was going to be hard to work with HR because I don’t have any official management experience. At that point I was the only candidate and if it stayed that way the position could be downgraded so that I could qualify based on my multitude of experience. The director acknowledged that we don’t have a “career path” program established in our department to help people grow and develop new skills, but that they would implement one ASAP so that it would never be questioned again.

Well, on Friday I got to work and found an email telling me that another candidate had applied and that he had already been interviewed and hired because he has years of management experience.

So, basically I’ve gotten screwed by HR. I’ve worked my tail off in my department, always taking on new tasks and I’m the “go to” person for everything because I get things done and I do them right. I know our accounting system inside & out, I know how things are run around here and I know who to contact to get what I need to get the job done. But, to HR I’m not qualified for the position because I’ve never done an employee evaluation and I won’t be qualified until I have at least two years of experience.

Yesterday I sat down with my director and I was really super pissed about the whole thing. She tells me that they fought with HR, but HR just wouldn’t budge and allow me to grow into the position. They basically made her interview and hire new dude because he fit all the job qualifications.

Now, new dude sounds like he’s a good guy. He definitely sounds like a good fit for our dept (I should know… I’ve been there the longest!) and I have nothing against him, but damn it give me a chance!

My director has promised me that the new career path will be started right away and that even the controller will explain it to the whole department that they realize they were not preparing us to grow within the department. I just wonder, at this point is it too little too late?

I’m pretty upset over this. I feel completely under appreciated in all this. My director says that I am definitely appreciated around here, it’s just the way that HR works and they tried everything they could. Well, HR may get what they deserve in this deal. Sunday night I put my resume out on Monster and HotJobs. I also applied to two positions that were posted. Yesterday I talked to a recruiter that I’ve worked with in the past and he’s going to send my resume out to a few places. Our impending trip to get Owen is my biggest concern, but he tells me that many employers will understand if I tell them on the front end. Today he submitted my resume two places, so we’ll see.

I really love my job, the people are great and I believe in the mission of the institution. But, once you’re burned do you keep sticking your hand back in the fire? I’ve got to do some investigating and see if there isn’t something better out there. Am I right?

No comments: